Wednesday 19 May 2010

Redesignating Sexuality

From Yahoo! Answers

Question
I'm homosexual but afraid of gay people?
I'm a 19 year old male, and I'm attracted to men, but wish I was attracted to women instead.

Being gay seems so alien and disgusting to me - I've grown up in a small town and the only other gay person I met was this hugely feminine guy who was into all the stereotypes - fashion, pop music, art, shopping, hanging out with girls, etc. (I'm not like that at all).

I really want to have a relationship, but dating a man just doesn't seem to work with me. To me being gay seems like something temporary that people do when they're young before becoming permanently single or marrying someone from the opposite sex. I admit I watch too many shows on TV with stereotypical gay people, and I've developed a fear of gay men over 30. I'm afraid that I'm going to become a drag queen or pedophile some day if I stay gay.

Not to mention that being gay is a sin that I'll burn in Hell for if God turns out to be real.

Can homosexuality be cured through hypnosis or any other type of therapy?

My Answer:
Hi

What an interesting question.

Before I answer that I want to address all the comments along the lines of "You are born gay and that's that!"

If only it were that simple, but, frankly, that stance is almost as lazy an uninformed as "Gays can be cured." It just isn't so black and white.

In very simplistic terms it works like this.

We all start out as female templates. All of us.

If we are supposed to be male we get one burst of androgens that causes us to develop male genitalia, and then a second burst that determines our sexuality and makes us fancy girls. This all happens in the womb and is not a lifestyle choice.

If we don't get the first shot of androgens but do get the second, we end up basically male, fancying women but with female genitalia.

And if we get the first shot of androgens but not the second we are still basically male and have a penis, but fancy blokes.

Equally, if we are meant to be women but happen to get the first shot of androgens we manifest as women who fancy men but have dicks.

And if we are meant to be women and get the second burst of androgens we are women who have dicks and fancy girls.

Confusing, eh?

But it's worse than that.

You see, these androgen hits are not binary. It's not the case that you either get them or you don't. You might get no hit at all, a weak, hit, a regular hit or an overdose. In fact, of course, you might get any dose from nil to max and all points in between. And that means anyone can find themselves on the cusp, not definitely feeling like they fit in one camp or another.

So it simply isn't the case that people are either hetero-,homo- or bi-sexual. The can be neither-sexual, or any-sexual, or mostly-this-but-vaguely-that-sexual. At which point you have to make a choice about what you feel most comfortable with, and you may have to do some research first before making that choice.

Now to answer some of the specifics of your question.

The bit of the Bible that rails against homosexuality most is the Old Testament Book of Leviticus and it's just as vitriolic about prawns and mildew. In this respect, at least, I think God is not your main concern.

I don't think you want hypnosis to cure you of homosexuality. I think you want to know whether hypnosis can make you more attracted to women, and that isn't the same thing at all. It CAN make you more attracted to women, without making you any less attracted to men, or it can make you less attracted to men too, BUT ... I have no idea how long it would last. It is certainly possible in the short term, but I've never left anyone with changed sexual orientation for more than a couple of hours.

But I don't think hypnosis is a viable option for you anyway. If your town is so small as to have only one or two homosexual men, the chances of it having a good enough clinical hypnotist to do what you want are very slim indeed.

Best wishes

Barry Thain
Clinical Hypnotist
Source(s):

No comments:

Post a Comment