Monday 10 May 2010

Amnesia as Therapy

Question
Can hypnotherapy be used to forget something?
Does anybody know if hypnotherapy can be used to help you forget something? I have some images in my head of certain people that I would like to totally forget about.

My Answer:
Hi Tessa

If you search on hypnotherapy (and) forget, you'll find this question has been asked and answered many times.

The short answer is, yes hypnosis can induce the amnesia you want given that you are a good hypnotee and you find a good hypnotist to do it, but it's bad therapy so no good hypnotherapist is going to do it for you.

Forgive me for saying so but you are going about this the wrong way.

OK. You have a problem. I don't know what it is, but you do.

Now, instead of going to a therapist and saying "Solve this problem for me," you're saying, "I've decided this problem is down to images I have in my head and I've decided the best treatment for that is amnesia."

You might be qualified to diagnose your problems and determine an appropriate treatment plan, maybe. But you wouldn't do that for an injured arm and no one should do it for an injured mind.

Best wishes

Barry Thain
Clinical Hypnotist
Source(s):

No comments:

Post a Comment